Designing To Live Sustainably competitions are consciously committed to the wisdom set forth by TS Eliot when he wrote; "The journey, not the arrival matters." In order to produce significant synergy requests for submissions will reach professionals, academics, students, and all active members of our region's diverse community.
Designing to Live Sustainably hosted the 2013 Imagine Buffalo Awards Gala celebration of innovative and sustainable designs at CEPA Gallery in downtown Buffalo. The submissions fulfilled the mission for the d2ls of 2013, with the broad range of entrants, mirrored by the variety and creativity of their concepts and visions, exceeding even our most hopeful expectations.
Building on the momentum of the inaugural 2013 City of Buffalo focused competition; the 2015 competition will expand to the Buffalo-Niagara Region. The Mission of Our Responsibility To Future Generations is to collectively embrace our responsibility to future generations by doing more than merely coping with the effects of climate change, designing built environment and policies that facilitate doing well. A multidisciplinary panel of judges will select a winner across each of the 6 categories and additionally, one grand prize recipient. Competition Categories Include:
- Public Participation, Policy & Governance- Public participation and governance projects will propose the revision, expansion or consolidation to an existing policy or law, purpose a new policy or law, establish a community based organization, or educate the public, especially the disadvantaged or disenfranchised.
- Transportation & Walkability- Mobility projects will improve upon our existing means of getting from place to place through enhancements to safety, walkability, reliability, connectivity, affordability and/or usability.
- Agriculture, Food Security & Food Justice- Agriculture and food justice projects will cover parts of or the entire life cycle of food, including production, distribution, consumption and/or disposal.
- Sustainability In Business- Sustainability in business projects will optimize the logistics, supply chain, service or production across an industry or within an organization.
- Design Innovation & Infrastructure- Design innovation projects will display novel and imaginative thinking in creating new structures, devices, technology or art.
- Building Reuse, Retrofits & Preservation- Reuse, retrofit and preservation projects will improve upon an existing structure either through adaptation, rehabilitation or modification.
Designing to Live Sustainably [d2ls] invites anyone with an idea that could contribute to the region's planning for the effects of climate change to join in this competition. Whether an architect, planner, designer, student, developer, business person, elected official or none-of-the above to take part in this radical collaboration and collectively improve the Buffalo-Niagara bioregion.